The patient consultation takes approximately 20-30 minutes depending on the complexity of the condition. Within this time frame we undertake a clinical examination taking into account past medical history and a duplex scan to assess the underlying cause of the problems.
The scan is perfectly safe, uses no needles, drugs or X-rays.
The duplex scanner is a powerful exploratory tool that provides extensive dynamic data, which is sufficient to:
• Confirm or rule out the presence of varicose veins
• Locate the varicose veins with precision
• Determine the nature of the varicose veins
• Assess the impact of a faulty valve
• Help determine the best treatment
• Confirm the condition of the deep venous system before removing superficial varicose veins
• Monitor the patient’s condition over a sustained period
The doctor who performs the scan can see the veins and the blood flow and can therefore assess whether the veins are working properly. The data is used to provide an accurate assessment of the patient’s condition and helps shape an appropriate course of treatment.