Heavy or restless legs are a sign of venous insufficiency, which may or may not be accompanied by varicose veins or thread veins. In order to alleviate the symptoms and prevent complications, you should :
What you should do:
• Exercise regularly and practise a sport if possible
• Rest with legs elevated and raise the foot of your bed
• Wear elastic stockings or compression hosiery
• Correct your plantar arches if your feet are flat or too arched
• Use venotonic creams and cool your legs by sprinkling cold water on them. The cold improves the tone of your veins.
What you should avoid:
• Avoid sources of heat: baths, saunas, floor heating, prolonged exposure to the sun
• Try to maintain a steady weight
• Avoid constipation by eating balanced meals rich in fibres
• Avoid wearing shoes with heels too high or too low
• Avoid long bouts of standing still or physical inactivity
• Avoid tight-fitting clothes or clothes constricting calves or thighs
If symptoms persist, see your doctor or angiologist who may be able to prescribe drugs to relieve the symptoms.